Application Deadline : DECEMBER 1
All applications (international and domestic) must be complete by this date.
For more information about the BISI Graduate Program and admissions process, please contact the BISI Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRE Reporting Codes for UMD-College Park: 5814
TOEFL Reporting Codes for UMD-College Park: 5814
No departmental code is required.
ADMISSIONS CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES
Unfortunately, the BISI program does not admit students for M.S. degrees.
The holistic admissions process for BISI is designed to determine whether the program is a good fit for your background, education, and research interests.
In general, successful applicants have:
- Earned a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with at least a 3.0 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale)
- At least one year of research experience
- Strong letters of recommendation from people that can speak to their academic and research strengths, including a letter or letters from previous research advisors
- GRE scores in the 70th percentile or higher (verbal and quantitative) and analytical scores of at least 4.0
- TOEFL scores of 100 or greater (international applicants only)
These characteristics describe many successful BISI applicants, however they are not fixed metrics.
During review of your application, we strive to look at the entire application to assess how well your academic background, research experiences, and interests fit with the opportunities provided by our program.
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
University of Maryland's Graduate Application Process
The University of Maryland’s Graduate School accepts applications through its ApplyYourself/Hobsons application system. Before completing the application, applicants are asked to check the Admissions Requirements site for specific instructions.
As required by the Graduate School, all application materials are to be submitted electronically:
- Graduate application
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- Program/Department supporting documents (as applicable)
- Non-refundable application fee ($75) for each program to which an applicant applies
The electronic submission of application materials helps expedite the review of an application. Completed applications are reviewed by an admissions committee in each graduate degree program. The recommendations of the committees are submitted to the Dean of the Graduate School, who will make the final admission decision. Students seeking to complete graduate work at the University of Maryland for degree purposes must be formally admitted to the Graduate School by the Dean.
Deadline: December 1
In addition to the general requirements of the application, BISI also asks for the following
- Identification of a research area (Area of Interest 1: BEES, CBBG, MOCB, or PSYS)
- Identification of content area research interests ("Area of Interest 2 & 3")
- Identification of faculty at UMD whose research is of interest to you and may be potential advisors.
- Publications and Presentations (BISI does not require that you upload publications, simply listing a citation is adequate.)
- An additional statement that expands upon your research interests and experiences.
The Graduate School recommends applicants submit the completed application at least one to two weeks prior to the posted deadline. Incomplete applications cannot be submitted at any time.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Hobsons online application’s help desk for any technical issues. For questions related to the admissions process, prospective students may contact the Graduate School.
REPORTING GRE SCORES
All applicants must take the general Graduate Records Exam (GRE) and arrange for scores to be sent to the University of Maryland (use Institution Code: 5814). If you’re taking the exam close to the application deadline date, please contact the BISI Office with your unofficial test scores (email@example.com or 301.405.6905) so that they can be added to your application.