Inside Higher Ed: Carpe Careers
This weekly column explores all aspects of career planning. Here's a taste of the offerings here: Internships: Not Just for Undergrads
Bio Careers: A Career Hub for Postgraduate Life Scientists
A resource for job seekers in the life sciences. This site has job listings PLUS career tools and advice for job seekers (including helpful webinars). Note: You do have to register, but it is free to do so. The website does take some time to get used to the job search tool and there are some jobs only available with a paid subscription. Here are a few positions that I found that would fit students in BISI:
American Society for Microbiology
Job postings from the ASM Career Connections (you can configure this to get a weekly email from them with job postings).
Post Doc Opportunities
- Integrative organismal biologist: post doc in Dr. Wes Dowd's lab at Washington State University. More information here and here.
- Post doctoral scientist in Dr. Adam Smith's lab at George Washington University to study the ecology and behavior of local bees. Apply and more info here.
- Post doc at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the Allergy and Clinical Immunology Branch within the Health Effects Lab Division. Looking for a 3 year funded post doc to study immunotoxicity of subchronic fungal exposures. This is in the lab of Dr. Brett J. Green. More info here.
- The Henry Jackson Foundation is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support the WILLIAMSON Lab at the Department of Microbiology and Immunology within the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) located in Bethesda, MD. This position will evaluate the development of protection against human malaria using a systems biology approach in a collaborative project between the Williamson Laboratory at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and the Center for Human Immunology at the National Institutes of Health. More info
- A POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW position is currently open in Dr. Claire Fraser’s laboratory at the Institute for Genome Sciences (IGS) at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine (UMSOM). They are looking for highly motivated candidates with a PhD in the life sciences, demonstrated experience in genomics or bioinformatics, excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and enthusiasm for scientific collaborations. More info here.
Alt-Ac and Positions Outside of the Academy
- The SFS program on Biodiversity Conservation and Development, located in the Amazon region of Peru seeks resident lecturer (Tropical Ecology) to serve as part of a residential team of faculty and staff that delivers an interdisciplinary, hands-on learning experience to students spending a semester abroad. More information here.
- R&D Scientist in Molecular Biology at Arraystar Inc (Rockville). More here.
- IDbyDNA Inc is searching for a Research Scientist to be part of an R & D team responsible for developing, improving and implementing laboratory protocols for next generation sequencing (NGS) based diagnostic tests. More info here.
Faculty Positions (TT and Professional Track)
- University of Florida is looking for a full time 12-month, renewable LECTURER. The lecturer will serve as both an instructor for the UF Online Biology Major, including development of two courses in the first year and delivery of two courses per semester in all three years; and as a coordinator between UF Online, the Department of Biology, and the trans-college Biology Majors Executive Committee to ensure the excellence of the UF Online Biology major. More information here.
- Gordon State College (Barnesville, GA) is looking for a full time tenure track faculty member to teach microbiology and, or, Cellular and Molecular Biology. This appears to be a teaching only position. More information here.
Visiting/Adjunct Faculty Positions
- College of the Holy Cross (Worcester, MA) is looking for a part-time visiting faculty member to teach microbiology & its associated lab for F2017 and Sp2018. More information here.
- Notre Dame of Maryland is hiring adjunct faculty to teach courses in Genetics and Genomics for Clinical Practice. More information here (instructions for applying here as well).