Committee Meetings and Advancing to Candidacy
BISI encourages all students in the program to meet regularly with both their advisor(s) and committee members. An annual meeting with your committee is required for all BISI students.
General information on meeting protocols:
- BISI Office can assist with room reservations
- When planning committee meetings, students must notify the BISI Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 2 weeks in advance. The Office will have all necessary paperwork and the student file ready for pick up on the day prior to the meeting.
- Be sure to print a copy of your unofficial transcripts for all meetings
- See committee composition requirements here .
- The general meeting guidelines and overview can be found here.
- Read the Official Preliminary Meeting and Qualifying Exam Policy and Procedure document when planning for these exams
BEES & PSYS
CBBG and MOCB
Year 1 - Semester 1: First Committee Meeting
- Within first 2 weeks or prior to arrival on campus (can be virtual)
- Includes advisor and senior doctoral student
- Objective: Review your academic background, develop curriculum, including an appropriate statistics course.
Year 1 - Semester 2: Second Committee Meeting
- End of 2nd semester
- Includes advisor, senior doctoral student, two additional faculty members
- Objective: Review background for research proposal, develop a research plan
Year 2: Preliminary Meeting
- During 4th semester (BEES), 5th semester (PSYS)
- The BISI Office must be notified 2 weeks before the meeting in order to prepare your paperwork for pick up.
- Includes full committee (Dean's Rep attendance is optional, but suggested)
- See committee composition requirements here . Once you've finalized your committee, please notify the BISI Office at email@example.com
- Preliminary meeting guidelines can be found here.
Year 3: Qualifying Exam
- Must be completed by the end of the 5th (BEES) or 6th (PSYS) semester
Year 1 - Semester 1
- Meet with Concentration Area Director and Graduate Program Committee.
- CA Director acts as advisor until one is selected
- Objective: Help with coursework selection and choose rotation mentors
- All students do 3 rotations during Fall (2) and Winter (1) terms
Year 1 - Semester 2
- Advisor must be chosen prior to the end of the second semester
- Must meet with advisory committee within 9 months of choosing advisor
- Notify the BISI Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) when your committee is finalized.
- Committee must be determined by the 4th semester. Committee guidelines can be found here.
Year 3: Preliminary Meeting and Qualifying Exam
- Preliminary meeting: During 5th semester
- Qualifying Exam: Must be completed by the end the 6th semester
All MOCB and CBBG students must meet yearly with their advisory committee members to review their progress.