Additional Sources of Funding
Endowed Fellowships & Awards
Stephanie and Richard Vogel Graduate Student Award
(In memory of Anne DeStefano Nucci and Elidio John Nucci) This award generously provides support to a graduate student that studies host responses to infectious agents.
2016 Recipients: Steve Christensen (Mosser Lab)
Qian Yu (Song Lab)
2015 Recipient: Vasudevan Achuthan (DeStefano Lab)
The Drs. Wayne T. and Mary T. Hockmeyer
Endowed Fellowship generously provides funding for students working in the life sciences.
2016 Recipients: Jason Berg (Dudash Lab)
Betsy Clark (Kocher Lab)
Susan Ochsner (Zhu Lab)
2015 Recipient: Kyle Miller Hesed (Wilkinson Lab)
Dr. M. Zain-Ul-Abedin Memorial Scholarship
Generously provides a monetary award to graduate students from developing countries that study molecular biology.
2014 Recipient: Vivek Advani
Dr. Edna O. Hokenson Fellowship: Endowed fellowship that generously provides funding for students studying immunology or microbiology, with preference given to female students.
Naren Bhokisham (Bentley Lab)
Bess Dalby (Mosser Lab)
Mengfei Peng (Biswas Lab)
Surya Sundar (McIver Lab)
Departmental Fellowships & Awards
Available to any student with an advisor in the Department of Biology
- Department Travel Awards
- Jane Prichard Teaching Award
- Biology Department Teaching Award
- Biology Department Research Award
- Eugenie Clark Scholarship: Provide summer support for graduate students doing research with faculty in the Department of Biology.
- Devra Kleiman Scholarship: Support for graduate students whose work aligns with Dr. Kleiman's illustrious career in conservation biology. Students with links to the Smithsonian will be given special consideration.
Graduate School Awards
- Ann G. Wylie Dissertation Fellowship: A one semester awards intended to support outstanding doctoral students who are in the final stages of writing their dissertation.
- All S.T.A.R. Fellowship: Honors graduate students that are both outstanding scholars and outstanding graduate assistants.
- Dr. Mabel S. Spencer Award for Excellence in Graduate Achievement
- Michael J. Pelczar Award for Excellence in Graduate Study: Outstanding doctoral candidate who has demonstrated excellence beyond coursework and who has also served as a TA for one year (with commendable performance).
- Graduate School Travel Awards: Provides funding for graduate students presenting academic work at conferences and professional meetings. There are two different awards available, the Jacob K. Goldhaber and the International Conference Student Support Award.
- Summer Research Fellowship: Provide support to outstanding doctoral students at mid-career (the period approximately before, during, or after achievement of candidacy). Enable students to prepare for or complete a key benchmark.
Federal Agency Awards
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grants
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA): Individual Predoctoral Fellowships to promote diversity in health-related research
- EPA STAR Fellowships: For research in environmental science
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Fellowships: For students in the agricultural sciences
- The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Biology-Health for doctoral students aims to initiate or reinforce collaborations, partnerships or joint projects between French and American research teams. The Chateaubriand Fellowship supports PhD students registered in an American university who wish to conduct part of their doctoral research in a French laboratory.
This fellowship is offered by the Office for Science & Technology (OST) of the Embassy of France in Washington in partnership with universities and research organizations in France and the United States. It is a partner of the National Science Foundation’s GROW program.
Many of these have been awarded to BISI students.
- Graduate Women in Science: Fellowship to increase knowledge in the fundamental sciences and to encourage research careers in the sciences by women
- Garden Club of America: Awards in tropical botany
- Smithsonian Center for Tropical Forest Science (CTFS): The program is intended to provide opportunities for graduate students to use existing Forest Dynamic Sites and conduct research in collaboration with scientists currently associated with these sites.
- National Geographic: Young Explorer's Grant
- Washington Field Biologists Club