How to Start a Job Search...
or What do I do with this Ph.D.?
This workshop focused on identifying the skills, interests, and values of the participants and then assisted them in identifying careers that utilized their skills, were correlated to their interests, and met their "must have" values.
You can follow us on Twitter: @BISIumd to get the latest job openings & professional development opportunities.
Workshop materials included:
- A presentation (found here)
- Four exercises
- A series of job advertisements
Additional helpful materials can be found at the following references:
- Next Gen PhD: A Guide to Career Paths in Science
Melanie V. Sinche, Harvard University Press, 2016
- University of Maryland Graduate School (contact Dr. Susan Martin, Director, Professional and Career Development). Find additional job search and professional development activities here.
- Versatile Ph.D. (Must be affiliated with UMD to use). Provides career planning tools, also has job openings and meet ups.
- myIDP: Individual Development Plan created by AAAS. Helps identify potential careers utilizing your skills, interests, and values. Also provides additional information about all careers accessible to those with a STEM Ph.D. (the University of Wisconsin has modified this to focus on their STEM students)
- Job Search Engines: