The Biological Sciences Graduate Program (BISI) offers outstanding opportunities for research and discovery within and across contemporary disciplines. Faculty mentors help students investigate exciting questions, in directions driven by each student’s interests and curiosity. Enthusiastic and interactive colleagues, agile minds, and cutting-edge technologies work together to advance and apply science. The goal of the Biological Sciences Program is to enable students to obtain the best training in their intended research areas, to work closely with outstanding faculty, and to prepare for successful futures contributing to innovative advances and effective teaching in the life sciences.
University of Maryland offers strong collaborations and enriched opportunities for research with distinguished institutions.
In addition to being a vibrant hub of science, medicine, biotech, and environmental research and policy, the D.C. area’s rich and diverse culture make it an especially lively, friendly, accessible community for students to thrive professionally and personally. The campus is “inside the beltway,” situated a swift 20 minutes (by convenient Metro ride from College Park) from the heart of the nation’s capital.
Donate to the
BISI Graduate Program
- Noor White (BEES, Braun Lab) just co-authored an article in Molecular Ecology Resources.
- Vasudevan Achuthan (MOCB, DeStefano Lab) was just published in the Journal of Virology
- Katie Seeley-Fallen (CBMG, Song Lab) was just published in PNAS USA
- Matt Conte (CBBG, Kocher Lab) just published an article in Nature with his advisor and Prof. Karen Carleton.
- Elske Tielens (BEES, Gruner Lab) was recently published in the Journal of Ecology.
- Carly Muletz (BEES, Lips Lab) was recently published in PLOS One
- Jonathan Goodson (CBBG, WInkler Lab) was part of a team that just published in Science
BISI Fellowship Awardees
2014 - 2015
Guarav Kandlikar (Kraft Lab)
Graduate Dean's Dissertation Fellowship
Vivek Advani (Dinman Lab)
Shang-Hsuan Lin (Colombini Lab)
Ann G. Wylie Fellowships
Lijuan Du (Wang Lab)
Suna Gulay (Dinman Lab)
Kyle Miller-Hesed (Wilkinson Lab)
Jenni Shemansky (Chang Lab)
Frank Stearns (Fenster Lab)
- 2015-2016 Fellowship Deadlines (click here)
- BISI Matriculating Class of 2014 (click here)
- Kevin Nyberg (Machado Lab) receives an NSF DDIG. Congrats!
- UMD student Nathan Jud featured in New York Times..more.
- BISI video award Winners
- Top 10 conference paper for Kun Wang (CBBG) ...more
Haoyue Zhang (MOCB) wins best poster...more.
BISI Merit Award Recipients
The Biological Sciences Graduate Program is proud to announce this year's Merit Award winners. The Merit Award provides recognition and encouragement to students that perform unusually well in graduate school. The award comes with a $2000 honorarium.